Multiple site types and clustering
GP practice registered patients
Travel time catchments for multiple sites
Public transport travel times
Access catchment population demographics
Strategic Health Asset Planning and Evaluation (SHAPE) is a web enabled, evidence based application that informs and supports the strategic planning of services and assets across a whole health economy. Its analytical and presentation features can help service commissioners to determine the service configuration that provides the best affordable access to care.
SHAPE links national data sets clinical analysis, public health, primary care and demographic data with information on healthcare estates performance and facilities location. The application also includes a fully integrated Geographical Information System mapping tool and supports travel time analysis.
Access to the SHAPE Place Atlas is free to NHS professionals and Local Authority professionals with a role in Public Health or Social Care. Access to the application is by formal registration and licence agreement.
The primary aim of the application is to facilitate scenario planning and option appraisal in support of STPs. Specifically, the SHAPE Place Atlas helps organisations consider the following:
- evaluation of the impact of service configuration on populations
- assess the optimum location of services
- an accessible online tool for STP stakeholders
- key indicators and data about the STP with a focus on health inequalities and equity of service.
- flexible geographies including STP, CCG, LA, ward and LSOA
- a comprehensive overview of the STP’s NHS estate
- functionality to enable users to flexibly evaluate and test the impact of plans
Content and functionality
- Primary Care: GP practice and branch practice; Health Centres & Clinic; Pharmacy and GP dispensing practice
- Secondary Care: Hospital: Acute, Community or Specialist; Treatment / Intermediate Care Centre
- Other: Care homes; Children’s centre; Dental service; Mental health facility; Non-clinical administration & support; Optician
- Organisation: NHS Trust; NHS Property Services; LIFT
- Infrastructure: Ambulance service; Prison; Railway station; School
- Create temporary new site locations
- Basemaps: Ordnance Survey Open Data; satellite
- Demographics: Output Area Classification; Workplace zones; Fuel poverty
Environment: Risk of Flooding from Rivers and Sea; Nitrogen Dioxide levels; Particulate Matter levels; Sulphur Dioxide levels
Boundaries: LSOA; Postcode; Ward; Local Authority; CCG; Westminster constituency; STP
Usage boundaries: Education sites; Medical Care sites; Open greenspace and access points
- Driving routes to nearest sites
- Index visible sites on map and cross-reference to listing
- Distance and boundary buffer visualisation
Travel times and distance for one or more sites.
- Walk by time
- Walk by distance
- Car, including rush hour option
- Public transport, options for to or from sites; and weekday morning, afternoon or evening travel times
- Export catchment with deprivation and population details by LSOA.
- ONS population estimates: Population density; Age profile
- DfT journey times: GP practices and hospitals
- Census 2011: Ethnicity
- Deprivation: IMD and nine domains
- QOF recorded prevalence: 21 disease classifications
- Dementia: prevalence for ages 0-64 and 65+
- Hospital Episode Statistics: elective and none elective activity by HRG, ICD10 and OPCS
- GP practice registered patients: location catchment and age profile
- GP practice commissioning boundary
- GP practice workforce: by age and role
- NHS providers CQC registration: latest service definition and quality assessment
- Export map pages to PDF documents in Google Chrome and Safari
- Export site list as Excel spreadsheet
- Bookmark map configuration to return to previous views
- Extensive inline help panels
- Online help chat available between 9am and 5pm
OS Open Greenspace updated: now using October 2018 data.
The Government initiative to make it easier for people to locate and access greenspaces has released a new version of its digital map data identifying accessible recreational and leisure greenspace in Great Britain. The data is available as a layer overlay within the SHAPE Place Atlas.
GP registered patient update: now using October 2018 data.
The location of registered patients by Lower Super Output Area and the age profile by sex and quinary age bands are available from an individual GP practice’s focus panel.
GP practice commissioning boundaries updated: now using September 2018 data. Added option to display multiple boundaries simultaneously.
GP Practice Submitted Inner Catchment Area KML Files:
NHS England: data.england.nhs.uk/dataset/gp-practice-submitted…